Pages

Wednesday 12 September 2012

Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black IslandDoctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island by Mike Tucker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have given this four stars because I found the ending a little too fantastic even for Doctor Who.

The actual premise of the story almost charactizes Schizophrenia in an easy way to explain it to children. That is quite dark.

A battle Alien ship falls to earth in 1935 and eight children witnessed it. The mind of the main occupant separates itself and lands in the minds of each of the children. All end up either mad or scared to talk. One is not even known. Even the Doctor doesn't work it out until the last ten pages.

I liked Rose in this as she acted like a big sister to little Ali one of the modern children - in a similar gang to the first seven.

All children in YNYS DU are scared to go to sleep as the monsters in their nightmares come to life. Ali latches onto Rose and the Doctor and ends up being the only one who can save the day. She is quite a feisty little girl and I can't help but think she was a slight inspiration for Amelia Pond.

As I said this is the only one that I probably would give four stars too as there was one thing about the end that does not fit right for me but otherwise a wonderful story about what schizophrenia must be truly like.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moon Phase

CURRENT MOON